What is Hemp Decortication?

What is Hemp?

Hemp is one of many varieties of the cannabis plant. Hemp—also called industrial hemp—refers to the non-intoxicating (less than 0.3% THC) varieties of Cannabis sativa L. Hemp and marijuana both derive from the same cannabis species, but differ in their physical and chemical makeup and uses.

Hemp is grown as a renewable and sustainable source for raw materials. These raw materials are used in a wide variety of products. The seeds, flower and stalk from hemp are used in a wide range of industries.

Hemp Fibers Hurds and Stalks

The hemp plant is harvested seasonally across the world and is a great rotation crop for farmers. Once harvested, the hemp stalks can be used for their fibers and hurds. Approximately 70% of the stalk is made up of the hurds (woody core), and the remaining 30% is the bast fibers.

Source: www.kyhempsters.com

Hemp plants can be used in its entirety, leaving very little waste. Even any "waste" left over can be used for such things as conversion into activated carbon for water purification for example. To take full advantage of the stalks, Nottingham Farm has customized 2 D8 Decorticators to process the stalks and extract the fibers and hurds.

Hemp Decortication

Hemp Decortication is the process of extracting the bast fiber (outer layer) of the hemp, and the hurds (inner woody core). Our decorticator is designed to handle a large volume of Hemp stalks, and we've customized our processing to minimize waste, while retaining the best quality and features of the hemp plant. The fibers produced are some of the highest quality raw materials for the production of such things and clothes, shoes, bags and ropes. The hurds extracted are ideal for things such as hemp animal bedding, fire-retardant concrete, and insulation. The remainder of the stalk is useful for such things as paper products and ethanol production.

Degummed and Scutched Fiber
Tow Fiber
Degummed Fiber

Check out our D8 Decorticator in action in the video below. If you have any question or want a sample of our hemp fibers or hurds, please contact us today!